I began playing piano when I was ~4, and clarinet when I was ~11. Music has been a rich and rewarding part of my life for essentially my whole life. I’ve had a strong affinity for classical music from when my parents played it to me as a child up until present day.
I really enjoy the camaraderie that comes as a part of making music with others, and have met some of my closest friends in orchestras and bands that I’ve performed in. There is truly something transcendent about the musical experience of performance and listening that, I believe, taps deep into what it means to be human.
I heartily enjoy most of the Western Classical repertoire, but am particularly fond of impressionistic and modern works. Ravel is probably my favorite orchestral composer, and on piano it’s a close tie between Chopin and Liszt.
Here is a selection of my favorite pieces with links to performances:
- Schelomo (Bloch, Ernest)
- Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 9, No. 2 (Chopin, Frédéric)
- Symphony No. 2 (Hanson, Howard)
- Clarinet Concerto in A major, K.622 (Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus)
- Liebesträume, S.541 No. 3 (Liszt, Franz)
- Introduction et Allegro (Ravel, Maurice)
- Daphnis et Chloé Suite No.2 (Ravel, Maurice)
- Scheherazade, Op.35 (Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolay)
- UIUC Wind Orchestra, 2015-2016
- Seattle Youth Symphony Orchestra (SYSO), 2009-2015
- Inglemoor High School Wind Ensemble, 2012-2015
- All-Northwest Band, 2015
- Washington All-State Band, 2014
- All-Northwest Band, 2013
- Washington Ambassadors of Music Europe Tour, 2012
- Northshore District Solo / Ensemble Competition – 1st Place, Solo Clarinet, 2015
- Northshore District Solo / Ensemble Competition – 2nd Alternate, Solo Clarinet, 2014
- Northshore District Solo / Ensemble Competition – 1st Place, Solo Clarinet, 2013
- Washington State Solo Competition – Honorable Mention, Solo Clarinet, 2013